King Cake is the signature treat of NOLA's Carnival season. These rings of sweet dough are dusted with colors that symbolize justice (purple), faith (green), and power (gold). Tradition decrees that whoever finds the baby must purchase or bake the next cake! King Cake Box Kit allows you to bake your own Gracious Bakery King Cake at Home!
- Made in New Orleans, LA
- Produced by a woman-owned business
- Recyclable packaging
- Kit makes one cake that serves 6-8 people
- Only four ingredients needed: egg, whole milk, unsalted butter, and water
- Easy directions, no mixer required!
Included in the box:
- King Cake Baby
- Decorative Sanding Sugar
- Cinnamon Sugar filling
- Yeast Packet
- Icing (dry ingredients)
- Cake Mix (dry ingredients)
- Empty dough mix and yeast packet into a medium-sized bowl. Separately, whisk milk and egg together, then pour into dry ingredients.
- Mix with rubber spatula until a loose dough forms, then turn onto a lightly floured surface. Using your hands, fold dough in half, then press down. Repeat folding motion for 2 minutes, rotating dough between folds.
- Spread softened butter onto dough and continue to knead for an additional 2 minutes; dough will become smooth in texture.
- Place dough in large bowl, using plastic wrap to directly cover the dough’s surface. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to shape a 4” x 24” rectangle. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mix evenly across dough.
- Roll dough loosely, from one of the longer edges to the other. Transfer seam-side down to a parchment-lined sheet pan. Grab ends and form into a loop, tucking one end into the other.
- Cover with a dish towel and allow to rise in a warm area (approx 85° F) for 2 hours, or until doubled in size
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Remove dish towel and bake rolls for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, whisk icing mix with water. Spoon over cinnamon rolls and immediately decorate with sanding sugars.
- Hide plastic baby underneath the cake. Store at room temperature and devour within 1-2 days.