How To Video: See How It's Done.
Crawfish Care and Cooking Instructions
PLEASE NOTE: Crawfish are PERISHABLE and should be cooked the same day you receive them.
To Care For Live Crawfish
If you are not going to cook the crawfish immediately, you must make provisions to keep them cool and damp!
- When you receive your crawfish take the sack(s) out of the box and hose the whole sack off in your back yard or in a large sink. Do not take the crawfish out of the sack, leave them in the sack and hose the entire sack with fresh water. Do not leave the sack submerged in water, as the crawfish are restricted in the sack and will drown.
- Place the sack(s) back into the box & lay a bag of ice loosely on top of the crawfish sack(s) and close the box.
- Leave the box in a cool damp area such as your garage/cellar or kitchen. If you live in an area where the temperature does not exceed 50 degrees then you may leave the box outside. However, dampen the crawfish first. Do not leave the crawfish outside if the temperature is freezing level or below!
Cooking Instructions For Live Crawfish
- Wash crawfish thoroughly with running water, removing any that are crushed.
- Fill a large pot with enough water to cover crawfish. Add powdered seasoning mix to the water. One pound of powdered crawfish boil will cook approximately 15 pounds of crawfish. The powdered premixed seasoning contains salt, lemon, onion, garlic, and many other spices needed for real "Cajun flavor". Bring water to a rolling boil.
- Place crawfish in water, cover, return water to a boil, and boil approximately 1-2 minutes. Turn off fire and let crawfish soak for 15-20 minutes depending on the amount of spices desired.
- Prepare vegetables while crawfish are soaking. The standard favorites are corn-on-the-cob and potatoes. However we suggest you also try mushrooms, carrots, whole onions, whole garlic, and any others of your choice. Boil the vegetables in the water after removing the crawfish, keeping in mind they will not take long to cook and they soak up the spices quickly. Start the potatoes first and add the others right before the potatoes are almost fork tender.
- Remove crawfish from water and place in an ice chest. The box the crawfish are shipped in works great for this purpose! Place a 2" layer of crawfish then sprinkle an even layer of LA Crawfish Company Creole Seasoning and a layer of salt (if desired). Continue layering crawfish and seasoning until all crawfish are in the chest.
- Place the lid tightly on the chest and let the crawfish steam approximately 15 minutes. Meanwhile, boil the vegetables.
- Uncover and enjoy Louisiana's finest delicacy!